Saturday, October 1, 2011

Overwhelming [oh-ver-hwel-ming, -wel-] (adj)

Week 1 - Towards the End
Read this, do that, react here, create there. Pfew, after three days without Internet access it is suddenly raining assignments - quite overwhelming.

Did you know that the antonym of "overwhelm" is "underwhelm"? Never seen that one in print. Just for the fun of it, I ran a comparison through Googlefight (http://www.googlefight.com). The results were overwhelmingly in favor of "overwhelm", 1.080.000 results as opposed to 12.800 results for "underwhelm". Where does the "whelm" in overwhelm come from, you ask? Well, believe it or not, it comes from O.E. hwielfan (W.Saxon), meaning "to cover over" and this apparently led to O.E. "helmian" (to cover) which is the origin of the "helmet", a head covering we might all need if it continues raining assignments.

Did I really complain earlier that this course started too slowly? Well, I am taking my words back. I have a lot to do now and need to plan my time carefully. Are others feeling overwhelmed as well? Here is something that might help:


I would have liked to write some more but I have to post on the class forum, react to the posts of others and read the blogs of fellow bloggers so there is not much time. Let me close this post with an overwhelming quote from Robert Coleman:

"Unless I accept my virtues, I will be overwhelmed by my faults"

Googlefight
Etymology overwhelm
overwhelm quote

4 comments:

  1. Hi Avraham,

    I watched this video you are sharing with us and it is true we might feel overwhelming sometimes. I think we all work hard and have a lot of things to do. But, if we enjoy what we are doing and we organize our time, and if we do not think too much about things we can't do, life would be easier. Congratulations for the work you do. As Lecturer and consultant you must be tired and wishing each day were of 25 hours at least.

    Nice meeting you and I hope you can share your experience about working with your students through blogs, pros and cons, and your suggestions to teachers who has never used blogs in classes.

    Thanks for sharing

    Regards,

    Yariela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yariela,

    What a nice name! What does it mean?
    Thanks for your comment. You are the first person ever to comment on a blog of mine because this is my first blog.

    Avraham

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Avraham, interesting post! I learned a bit about the vocabulary words and I think you added a bit of humour and informality to your post. I think that`s nice because you are just being you! I sometimes feel overwhelmed because my life is just crazy: I have many groups and I spend much of my precious weekend time correcting, planning and studying. Am I happy? Sure! I like what I do even though I sometimes feel like i deserve a break!
    I really need to organize my time so that I can always catch up with all the work we are going to have. I think it will be a fun ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vinicius,

    Thank you for this comment from far away Brazil. In your introduction you mentioned that you love traveling so whenever you come to Israel, do visit us.

    I will continue adding new vocabulary items to my list and you are welcome to visit once in a while to drop by and look around. I see Blogging for you is not something new (with 4 existing blogs!- how do you keep up with this?). This is my first blog ever...

    ReplyDelete