Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Multi-tasking [muhl-tee-tas-king, -tah-sking, muhl-tahy-], (n)

Week 5, Middle of the Week

Doing this course is not easy. I am trying to juggle three jobs, a family life and this course all together and am sometimes afraid that I am dropping some of the balls.

Over the years, I have heard that women are better at multi-tasking than men which always made me feel slightly jealous but quite skeptic as I seem to multi-task better than many women I know.  Today I found research disclaiming the idea all together.  BRANDY R. CRISS of the DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY, MWSU experimented and found unequivocally that there is no difference between men and women (concerning multi-tasking). Here by the way proof that men can multi-task:



The word multi-tasking comes from the world of computers and was originally used as an adjective to describe a computer that could do multiple computations simultaneously. Only in 1998 was it also used for humans. "Multi" comes from the Latin "multus" (much, many), cf with the Greek "malta" (very very much). I searched the Internet to find if there is any connection between this Greek word and the name of the island Malta slightly South of Italy but this is apparently not the case. So here I am again, writing a blog and searching the Internet at the same time; multi-tasking.

As teachers we multi-task all the time. One of my fellow students, Masafumi, listed the many tasks/ roles we have as teachers:
1. The Teacher as Controller
2. The Teacher as Director
3. The Teacher as Manager
4. The Teacher as Facilitator
5. The Teacher as Resource

With five different tasks/ roles, we should actually get 5 salaries! But keep dreaming, we are far from that.
You won't become a multi-millionaire multi-tasking as a multi-role teacher, but it is multi-satisfying.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Multi-task teacher,

    It is true it depends on the person not genre. I have a son,and this week has been hard to do many things at the same time,checking my son's homework,chores,a writing class I am taking with an ELF,my classes at school,my work in the library on sat.and family issues,uff,jaj I had time to watch "the exorcism of emily rose",so imagine,all of us make this word MULTI-TASK alive.

    Regards,
    Yariela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Avraham
    I would also add that by adding two sometimes three blog entries per week, you are pushing yourself extra hard! Not that I want you to cut back as your entries are so fun to read, but if you find yourself extra tight on time during any week, you *could* just make the minimum one blog post. Then at least you'd have one less ball in the air.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete