Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Impatient [im-pey-shuhnt] (adj)

Week 1 - Off We Go
After the long wait and anticipation of Week 0, I expected a quick start and lots to do from the word go. The course, however, starts off too slowly for me. I know that Robert explained the need for this (newbies who have never done anything online) but I am one of those who has taught online courses, so I am only too eager to sink my teeth in some real tasks and the current speed makes me feel impatient.

I once asked my students for the meaning of "impatient". One smart aleck answered "healthy". When I asked him how he got to this answer he replied: 'From the prefix "im", which means "not" and "patient". He is no longer a patient so apparently he is healthy!' It took me a while to explain that "patient" comes from "to suffer" and "to be able to bear suffering". So impatient means "not being able to endure the suffering any longer".

But that is a bit too strong a description for my feelings. It's just that I will not have much time later this week, so I would like to do as much as possible without having to wait. I know, I know - impatience is a bad habit and it can sometimes blow up in your face like the following clip examplifies:

Therefore, instead of getting annoyed, I am keeping myself busy with writing my second blog post and will exercise some patience because the tasks that we did get until now were fun to do. So I will be "able to endure this suffering"; a bit longer :-)

etymology of "impatient"


2 comments:

  1. Avraham, Thank you very much for your waiting for us who still walking like that old woman :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adi,

    You are welcome. But the fact that you are already commenting on the Blogs of others shows that you have passed the stage of shuffeling and are moving at full speed. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete