Sunday, November 27, 2011

Satisfaction [sat-is-fak-shuhn], (n)

Week 9

I worked hard on my final project for the course and I feel I did a good job. I set up a website with online quizzes for my students to take and the site works wonderfully. I am satisfied but also sad. Satisfied that I managed to complete the course successfully and sad because it is almost over.

The words sad and satisfied are actually etymologically connected. Satisfied comes from the word satisfy which came to us through Middle and Old French from the Latin satisfacere meaning "discharge fully, comply with, make amends," literally "to do enough," from satis "enough". When we look at the Proto Indo European base we find the combination of SA (= to satisfy) FACERE (= to perform). The root SA, meaning satisfied also came to mean satisfied as "having enough", slowly becoming "having too much", "too heavy", "weary/ tired of" until it finally became the base for the word sad, meaning "unhappy".

So etymologically speaking it is ok to feel satisfied and sad simultaneously and as this best expresses my feelings right now I will leave it at that.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Avraham,

    I am happy to know your website works wonderfully. I am sure your students also appreciate the hard work.

    Just like you, I feel a bit sad to know this course is about to get to the end. The most important, we learned a lot and met wonderful people from all over the world.

    Regards,
    Genny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Avraham,

    For sure, it is a mixture of feelings. Satisfied is a good one. I personally feel blessed of having this opportunity.

    Your presence in this course was useful to me. I could learn from your posts and work. So, Thanks for your comments and suggesstions.

    Great for you because you did a great job with the online quizzes. I am also satisfied in the sense that my kids in 4th grade are now more familiar with sites and I can send them assignments to their emails and they are doing excellent improvements.

    See you around. maybe one day I can ask you for a skype activity with my kids in the school, so you can interact with them.

    Regards,
    Yariela

    ReplyDelete